- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The cell membrane structure-Fluid mosaic model.
The first 200 words of this essay...
The cell membrane structure-Fluid mosaic model
The cell membrane separates a watery cytoplasm from a watery external environment also known as ECF. The phospholipids are arranged in a double layer (lipid layer) with the hydrophilic heads facing outward (cytoplasm or ECF) and the hydrophilic tails turned in towards each other. The unsaturated fatty acids are not bonded to each other and form a fluid.
Fluid Mosaic model. The term "fluid" is used because the phospholipid molecules and proteins that make up the membrane are free to drift around in fluid motion. The term "mosaic" is used to describe the position of the protein molecules. The molecules are placed randomly and there is no set pattern.
Embedded within the lipid bilayer are different proteins (hydrophobic parts interact with the hydrophobic tails of the phospholipids). The hydrophilic parts of the proteins protrude either in to the cytoplasm or into the ECF. Some of the proteins are anchored in place while other proteins move about within the bilayer.
Various organelles within the cytoplasm are also bounded by membranes similar in structure to the cell membrane except for specific combinations of lipids and proteins depending on the particular
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Molecules & Cells (view all)
- Cellular Structure and Function
- Relating the structure and function of cell organelles
- Measurement of protein solutions concentrations by biuret pr...
- How Does Temperature Affect the Action of Amylase on Starch?
- Liver and Hydrogen Peroxide experiment
- Colorimetry Experiment - I will investigate and observe the ...
- Experiment Aim: To investigate the effects of placing onion ...
- Influenza is a viral infection which attacks the respiratory...
- How the protein insulin is made.
- This essay will look at different types of human tissues and...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.