- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Assess the claim that the main function of education is to maintain a value consensus in society
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess the claim that 'the main function of education is to maintain a value consensus in society' (20)
Different theorists believe in different functions of the education system, some think it as promoting value consensus and some see otherwise.
Functionalists believe that education transmits society's norms and values and therefore promotes value consensus, with the educational and economic system working hand in hand to develop the skills required for the world of work.
Emile Durkheim provides the basic framework of the functionalists view on the education system, agreeing with its function of transmitting norms and values. He believed that for society to operate effectively they have to develop a sense of belonging to something, becoming 'social beings' with a loyalty and commitment to society as a whole. The education system creates this effectively by teaching subjects such as history, which enables children to see the link between themselves and wider society. He argued that you must learn to cooperate with everyone, whether they are friends, family or just acquaintances, which can only be learnt at school and not at home. Durkheim also believed punishments should reflect the damage done and made clear that the transgressor will be
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Assess the view that religious beliefs and practices are cha...
- Evaluate the view that class is the most important source of...
- Examine the ways in which state policy may affect families a...
- Differential Achievement
- Friederich Engels: Industrial Manchester, 1844 In the cit...
- Assess the view that the education system exists mainly to s...
- Outline and asses the view that new social movements express...
- Biological and Social Constructionist explanations of Gender...
- Assess the relation between sociology and social policy
- Feminism: A Sociological Overview
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.