- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Assess the claim that the nuclear family as a dominant form of family structure has been replaced by a wide variety of types of families
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess the claim that 'the nuclear family as a dominant form of family structure has been replaced by a wide variety of types of families'.
The 'nuclear family' has been described to be a family in which there are two parents in a heterosexual relationship with their biological children, some sociological perspectives would view the nuclear family as the best type such as Functionalism and the New Right. Between 1961 and 1998 the percentage of households qualifying as nuclear families had fallen from 38% to 23%. There have been rises in other types of family such as gay and lesbian families, lone parent families and reconstituted families. Other types of family have become more accepted in recent years, this trend is likely to increase over the next generations. This assignment will explore the nuclear family as a dominant form of family structure, the variety of types of family and whether the nuclear family has been replaced, by these by using case studies and theories. The Rapoports, The New Right and Postmodernism all believe that the nuclear family has been replaced by a wide variety of other family types, whereas on the other hand Jennifer Sommerville and Robert Chester will
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Work & Leisure (view all)
- Critically Evaluate the Functionalist Perspective on Educati...
- Comparison Of Marxist And Functionalist Views On Education
- The role of education in today's society.
- Examine the Reasons for Differences in Educational Achieveme...
- American values identified by sociologist Robin Williams
- Using material from item B and elsewhere assess the strength...
- Sociological Theory and Groups - analysis of a football team...
- Assess the Postmodernist view that we are free to adopt any ...
- evaluate the fact that there is still inequality in the work...
- Assess the view that vocational education and training schem...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.