- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Assess the effects of mass media on popular culture.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess the effect of mass media on popular culture
Popular culture is defined as social and cultural products that are there as a form of entertainment and for use by the mass culture, and are commonly short lived and acknowledged to hold little artistic value, such as movies or pop music. Alternatively, high culture is something that is considered unique, and different to everyday life. It is usually aimed at the upper and middle class, and is commonly approved of by the intellectual elite. Furthermore it usually takes place in environments that are significant in high class culture, such as the theatre.
There are several different arguments as to how the mass media has affected popular culture, for example Marxists argue that popular culture is the bourgeoisie's way of dumbing down the proletariat, and thus controlling them. By promoting the false ideologies that popular culture bases itself off, such as owning an iPod, the proletariat are distracted from the poor working conditions and the exploitation that they are facing. Furthermore, Marxists also argue that the working class experience "false class consciousness", meaning that they have come to believe that the capitalist system is a fair one
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- Assess sociological explanations of the relationship between...
- Assess the view that cults and sects are inevitably short-li...
- The Media is the most effective agency of socialisation. Dis...
- Different Types of Culture
- Assess the Functionalist Theory of Culture essay
- How Media, Advertising and Celebrity Culture Affects Female ...
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.