- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Assess the Functionalist explanation of the role of education in modern society.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess the Functionalist explanation of the role of education in modern society
The functionalist approach is one of several sociological viewpoints on education. Functionalism is largely derived from the work of sociologists such as Emile Durkheim and Talcott Parsons. Broadly speaking, functionalism is an approach which explains social institutions primarily in terms of the functions they perform. Functionalists treat societies as systems of interacting and discuss the functions of something relating to its effects on a particular institution or on society as a whole.
For Durkheim (french sociologist), the process of education was to be understood in terms of its contribution to the maintenance of the social order. He saw the major function as the transmission of society's norms and values. He was one of the major contributing sociologists putting forward new ideas and establishing many themes which continue to be immensely important in influencing modern sociology. Durkheim believes that social solidarity is vital - a unitation of individuals creating an all round feeling of commitment and a sense of belonging to society as a whole. He believes that in particular the teaching of history links the individual to their society and if this happens
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Work & Leisure (view all)
- Multi-agency working
- Evaluate the Marxist Perspective on the role of education.
- Compare and contrast the Marxist and Functionalist views on ...
- Religion can both be a conservative force and an initiator o...
- The Marxist view of education
- Using material from item B and elsewhere assess the strength...
- Sociological Theory and Groups - analysis of a football team...
- Assess the Postmodernist view that we are free to adopt any ...
- evaluate the fact that there is still inequality in the work...
- Assess the view that vocational education and training schem...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.