- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Briefly explain how the concept of 'male stream' knowledge referred to in Item A has effected sociological explanations of behaviour with reference to family and households
The first 200 words of this essay...
Crime & Deviance 5
a) Briefly explain how the concept of 'male stream' knowledge referred to in Item A has effected sociological explanations of behaviour with reference to family and households. (8 marks)
One effect of male stream knowledge in sociological explanations of behaviour is that men tend to be very much in favour of positivist methods, like scientific research and proof. Whereas feminists think that the sympathetic approach is better therefore using things like observations, this mainly due to the fact that positivist research has many flaws.
Another effect is that due to the fact that men develop most sociological explanations of crime and therefore they only talk bout men. They exclude the fact the females commit crime which is evident in all of the theories apart from feminism because these ideas are predominantly about women. This means that women are left out of the equation meaning that men place there patriarchal views on the sociology of crime.
b) Briefly evaluate the usefulness of social surveys as a source of information on crime and deviance for sociologists. (12 marks)
Social surveys are a way of finding out information from a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Crime & Deviance (view all)
- Sociological Theories on Crime and Deviance
- Asses the arguments and evidence which suggest women commit ...
- Assess the Usefulness of Official Crime Statistics to a Soci...
- The chivalry thesis claims that women will be treated more l...
- Evaluate the Functionalist explanations of Deviance.
- Outline some of the reasons why different pupil subcultures ...
- Analyse explanations of crime and deviance and explain the i...
- Assess the view that cults and sects are fringe organisation...
- The purpose of this report is to evaluate and reflect upon m...
- Is there a single definitive policing model appropriate to p...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.