- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Crime and Punishment.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Crime and Punishment
In this particular crime, four generals who served under the rule of Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet were convicted of being implicated with the assassination of a trade unionist who had called for protests days earlier, this act made him an enemy of the state.
At the time, the martial government viewed the victim, Tucapel Jimenez, as a threat to their grasp on the country so he had to be eliminated.
On the other hand, the people of the time saw this as another injustice committed by a fascist government desperate to remain in power and cut short any potential uprising. The people of Chilli still hold this view today; with many more opting for campaigns to bring to justice the senior officials who gave the orders to commit these various atrocities and assassinations during their time in power. Capital punishment had now been abolished as prisons had become the most common form of punishment, with 90% of serious offenders sent to prison. The emphasis of prisons had shifted from trying to deter current and future criminals to actively reforming and rehabilitating criminals back into society.
The present government, eager to present itself
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Crime & Deviance (view all)
- Assess the Usefulness of Official Crime Statistics to a Soci...
- Outline & evaluate sociological explanations of the rela...
- The chivalry thesis claims that women will be treated more l...
- Sociological Theories on Crime and Deviance
- ‘Discuss the use of alternative strategies of crime...
- Analyse explanations of crime and deviance and explain the i...
- Assess the view that cults and sects are fringe organisation...
- The purpose of this report is to evaluate and reflect upon m...
- Is there a single definitive policing model appropriate to p...
- Are our streets safer now? Crime rates in Scotland.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.