- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Demography topic revision notes. The study of populations and their characteristics is called demography.
- Essay length: 4925 words
- Submitted: 23/01/2012
The first 200 words of this essay...
The study of populations and their characteristics is called demography. These characteristics include:
* Size: is the population large or small, growing or declining?
* Age structure: is the average age of the population rising or falling?
The factors that most directly affect the size of a country's population are:
* Births: how many babies are born.
* Deaths: how many people die.
* Immigration: how many people enter the country from elsewhere.
* Emigration: how many people leave the country to live elsewhere.
Britain in 1801 had a population of 10.5 million. By 1901, this stood at 37 million. By 2007, the population of the UK had reached nearly 61 million and one projection is that it will rise to 71 million by 2031.
Until the 1980s, UK population growth was largely the product of natural change - that is, the result of there being more births than deaths. However, since the 1980s, most of the growth has come from net migration - that is, more immigration than emigration.
The number of births obviously affects population size. Sociologists use the concept of birth rate to
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Assess the usefulness of feminist contributions to our under...
- Examine the weakness of different types of documents used in...
- Examine the ways in which practical, ethical and theoretical...
- Assess the contribution of functionalism to our understandin...
- Sociology Postmodern theories of the family
- In the piece of writing With No Boys To Ogle, We Had Time to...
- Assess the view that religious beliefs and practices are cha...
- The role of the education system is to justify and reproduce...
- Black Male perception, of Secondary School Attainment and Op...
- Assess the view that the main function of education is to re...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.