- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Different Types of Culture
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Different types of culture
High Culture - is linked with the elite, upper class society, those families and individuals with an ascribed status position. It is often associated with the arts such as opera, ballet and classical music, sports such as polo and lacrosse, and leisure pursuits such as hunting and shooting. Clearly, high culture is associated with a small elite in society, who, it is argued, operate a system of social closure - not allowing entry to 'outsiders' - thus ensuring that high culture maintains its elite and exclusive position.
Figure 2: Ballet (elite)
Cultural Diversity - is a concept relating to culturally embedded differences within society, it's the fact that different cultures exist alongside each other E.g. lesbians, chavs etc. Thereby it is any group that has something in common.
Subculture - is culture enjoyed by a small group within society. In this sense it is a minority part of majority culture. They have distinct norms and values which make them sub-section of society. Examples of subcultures in the UK include youth groups such as emos and skaters, or religious groups such as the Scientologists (New Age Traveller Groups).
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- Assess sociological explanations of the relationship between...
- Assess the effects of mass media on popular culture.
- Assess the view that cults and sects are inevitably short-li...
- Assess the Functionalist Theory of Culture essay
- Moral Panic and media folk devils.
- How Media, Advertising and Celebrity Culture Affects Female ...
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.