- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss the similarities and differences between conflict of Marxist theories and functionalist theories in sociology.
- Essay length: 1692 words
- Submitted: 08/02/2013
- Awarding body: Edexcel (for A-levels)
The first 200 words of this essay...
Question: Discuss the similarities and differences between conflict of Marxist theories and functionalist theories in sociology. 25 marks
Although sociology is a recently developed field of study, the advancement of the study is progressing rapidly. Sociological theories are ways sociologists explain society and its mega structure. The structural conflict and structural consensus theories are inevitable chapters of sociology. With some similarities, these two theories have different ideologies and ways of explaining the society.
Both theories view society as a system of social structures and both agree that these social structures exist within a society. However, the two theories differ greatly in their opinion on the purpose of these structures. Functionalism views the system of social structures as entities that work together for the benefit of all, but Marxism believes the system of social structures are in place but vary in their benefits depending on the wealth and power of the people involved. involved.
Functionalism, the structural consensus sociological theory is a key theory that was developed by Emile Durkheim, one of the founding fathers of sociology. This theory sees society as a mega structure
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Assess the usefulness of feminist contributions to our under...
- Outline and asses sociological explanations for workplace in...
- secondary sources of data
- Biomedical and the socio-medical models of health
- Examine the weakness of different types of documents used in...
- In the piece of writing With No Boys To Ogle, We Had Time to...
- Assess the view that religious beliefs and practices are cha...
- The role of the education system is to justify and reproduce...
- Black Male perception, of Secondary School Attainment and Op...
- Assess the view that the main function of education is to re...
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.