• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Do our prisons work?

Extracts from this document...


Do our Prisons work? Some people have to be put in prison. This assignment looks at why and then whether prison works as an answer to all serious crime committed by adults. Is prison there simply to punish people or to make them better people, to deter them from committing more crime or just to make society feel safer? People have to be put in prison as a result of the crimes people have committed. Some crimes more serious then others so are treated differently. The more serious a crime, generally the higher prison category and prison sentence they serve. As a result of going to prison I believe that a lot of inmates return to society and re-offend again due to many reasons. ...read more.


In juvenile prisons, like Feltham the re-offending rate is up to 80% where are another juvenile prison which has a nick name called "Boot camp", this has American characteristics that disciplines and educated inmates and the re-offending rate is less then half that of Feltham. Prisons "may well be an obstacle to the fight against crime", (Adam Sampson) in my opinion, prisons, harbour, brew and make criminals stronger and angered thus they become more of a danger to the public when released. With conditions as bad as for instance, 40 inmates at GlenParva in Leicester trying to commit suicide, no wonder the re-offending rates are so high. ...read more.


In a sense society does feel reassured by the comforting knowledge that all bad people go to prison. But in reality, I feel that it is more worrying to send people to the current prison set up as they come out worse. Statistically I cannot condemn the prisons entirely as 20% or more do not re-offend after being released, but what about the other 80% which need to be addressed. This leaves a looming question, is prisons there just to punish people for the crimes they have committed or there to reform them? Personally I feel, that ideally it should be there to reform, but currently it is there just to punish. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our AS and A Level Crime & Deviance section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related AS and A Level Crime & Deviance essays

  1. Teenage Suicide in the United States - comparing suicide rates in Europe and East ...

    Though in between those increase there have been significant years of rates decreasing. These changes have occurred all for numerous reasons depending on the period of time. Hopefully the rates of suicide will decrease more and more over the years to come.

  2. There should be no such thing as prisons do you agree

    population fall into the category of criminals needing special treatment or care". the great majority are men under 30 who are there for drink, drugs and car offenders. The average uk prison sentence is 1 year. According to the reform trust "75% of those who have been through prison once, rapidly find themselves back inside again".

  1. Teenage Curfews.

    Her point of view shows us that she is for the use of teenage curfews. She added that they would also better equip officers to "protect children from the risks of being unaccompanied on the streets on the streets at night - from adults such as drug dealers and pimps, or older peers encouraging them into criminal activities".

  2. My opinions of juvenile prisons.

    According to the Home Office figures 70 to 80% of juveniles offenders commit harsher offences within two years. So these institutes are only temporary measures to keep the streets safe. Institutes like Feltham have a high re-offending rate, up to 80%.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work