- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Examine the extent to which husbands and wives now have a relationship based on equality
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Examine the extent to which 'husbands and wives now have a relationship based on equality' (24)
When looking at equality within relationships there are four main areas to observe;
* Domestic division of labour
* Decision making
* Emotional/Invisible work
* Division of power/Domestic violence
A study done by Young and Willmott greatly supports the idea that husbands and wives now have a relationship based on equality. They suggest changes in the way the family operate have made roles more similar. These changes include; the absence of help and support from relatives that existed in the past, leisure activities such as going to the pub or meeting with other friends have become less common and have been replaced by playing with the kids or watching TV, which are centred around the home. They go on to describe the typical nuclear family as a 'symmetrical family' which refers to an arrangement where the workings and conjugal roles of the family are similar. Young and Willmott then give several reasons for the development of the symmetrical family;
* Living standards have improved and possibly less housework is needed to be done in keeping the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Identify current patterns of ill health and inequality in th...
- Assess the usefulness of feminist contributions to our under...
- Biomedical and the socio-medical models of health
- "Compare and contrast modernisation theory and dependen...
- Using material from item A and elsewhere, assess the contrib...
- How is Webers view of the class structure different to Marxi...
- BTEC NATIONAL LEVEL 3 UNIT 3 CITIZENSHIP, DIV...
- Outline and discuss the contribution made by Marxism to our ...
- Assess the reasons why young people seem to participate in r...
- Outline and evaluate the view that religion is losing its si...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.