- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Religion is more a cause of conflict than of harmony in society(TM)
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Religion is more a cause of conflict than of harmony in society'
To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view? (40 marks)
Functionalists believe that religion is a cause of harmony in religion whereas, Marxists would argue that religion is more a cause of conflict in society.
Karl Marx believes that religion is an illusion that eases the pain of exploitation, it is a way of providing many of the deceptions that the form the basis of the ruling class ideology and false class consciousness. Religion therefore acts like an opiate to dull the oppression. It does nothing to solve the problem and it is simply a misguided attempt to make life more bearable. Marxists argue that religious movements begin in oppressed classes; their social conditions provide the most fertile ground for the growth of new religions. Engels said that Christianity was originally a movement of oppressed people; it first appeared as the religion of slaves, of poor people deprived of all rights, or peoples subjugated or dispersed by Rome. The Christian vision of heaven can make life on earth more bearable by giving people something to look forward to. This is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Biomedical and the socio-medical models of health
- Sociological Perspectives
- Assess the strengths and limitations of unstructured intervi...
- Explain your understanding of the principle sociological per...
- Use sociological terminology to describe the principal socio...
- Assess the view that the education system exists mainly to s...
- Outline and asses the view that new social movements express...
- Biological and Social Constructionist explanations of Gender...
- Assess the relation between sociology and social policy
- Feminism: A Sociological Overview
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.