- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Identify and briefly explain 3 limitations of using victim surveys to study youth offenders
The first 200 words of this essay...
Identify and briefly explain 3 limitations of using victim surveys to study youth offenders (9marks)
Firstly, there is the issue of age in studying youth offenders. This can cause several problems for a researcher. In terms of access, victims of youth offending are usually youths themselves, and there is no readily available list of victims for researchers to use; this makes it difficult to obtain a representative and insightful sample. Also, due to age, there may be issues of gaining consent from parents and this causes further issues as some may be unwilling for their children to participate. For example, in the British Crime Survey they exclude under 16s to avoid these problems, but as young people are often at the centre of crime in terms of victims and offenders this removes a very important group.
Secondly, the very nature of victim surveys is to probe into areas that may be sensitive to a person who has been a victim of crime. Researchers have to be especially aware of this when surveying young people. Due to the possible distress that may be caused, it may be inappropriate to ask young people about certain issues, such as
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Crime & Deviance (view all)
- Assess the Usefulness of Official Crime Statistics to a Soci...
- Sociological Theories on Crime and Deviance
- Evaluate the Functionalist explanations of Deviance.
- describe four studies relating to crime and deviance - each ...
- Critically assess labelling theories contribution to the soc...
- Examine the Marxists explanation of crime and deviance (12 m...
- Assess the Usefulness of Different Sociological Approaches t...
- Describe and Assess Functionalist Approaches to Crime
- Outline some of the reasons why different pupil subcultures ...
- Analyse explanations of crime and deviance and explain the i...
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.