- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Marxism is a structural theory, as people's actions are shaped by society and in particular the economic system. It is a conflict view of society.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Marxism is a structural theory, as people's actions are shaped by society and in particular the economic system. It is a conflict view of society. Marxists argue that the upper class control all of society including law and order. They therefore have control over judges, police and the government. This gives them the power to define what is right in society in the interest of themselves. Therefore there is no criminal justice system for the working class. Instead the working class believe that the system is fair due to the ideology put forward by the upper class. This is known as false class-consciousness.
Marxists argue that the upper class control the definitions of deviance in four main strands. The first contribution is that laws benefit the upper class and not the population generally. This view is supported by Pearce who argues that the majority of laws in Britain and America, work in the favour of capitalism. e.g. the conservatives got rid of the super tax which the rich had to pay. Pearce argues that even the laws that appear to benefit the subject class in reality benefit the ruling class as well. Factory legislation protecting the health and safety of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Crime & Deviance (view all)
- Sociology Research Proposal Coursework
- Distinguish among positive reinforcement, negative reinforce...
- How far does Becker's account (The Outsiders 1963) of the pr...
- Anti-legalization of Drugs.
- This paper attempts to analyse Bacceria's (1764) "On Cr...
- Analyse explanations of crime and deviance and explain the i...
- Assess the view that cults and sects are fringe organisation...
- The purpose of this report is to evaluate and reflect upon m...
- Is there a single definitive policing model appropriate to p...
- Are our streets safer now? Crime rates in Scotland.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'