- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
'Society affects how people perceive themselves, Body Image awareness still exists in our society'.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Society affects how people perceive themselves, Body Image awareness still exists in our society'
I agree strongly with this statement that many people living on our society are influenced by the media and the fashion industry. Both are equally responsible for the increased number of people suffering from eating disorders. Fashion industries tend to only feature whose figures vary from eight to ten. Their androgynous waif-like figures are presented as representative of the everyday woman. In doing so the average woman in the street is forced to measure herself against an unrealistic ideal. Most models are above average height, have naturally lithe bodies and are aged between sixteen and thirty. Their image is constructed and manipulated by a predominately male homosexual industry which appears reluctant to show women as curvaceous individuals. Celebrities themselves fall foul of the dominant media representation of women. Victoria Beckham not long after the birth of her first child was famously featured on a catwalk parading the clothes of one of her favourite designer. At the time she was praised for entertaining her slim figure so soon after pregnancy. However weeks later as speculation grew over her emaciated new look,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- Assess sociological explanations of the relationship between...
- The mass media have direct and immediate effects on the idea...
- Assess the view that cults and sects are inevitably short-li...
- The Media is the most effective agency of socialisation. Dis...
- Marketisation of education
- How Media, Advertising and Celebrity Culture Affects Female ...
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.