- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Sociology and Ethics
The first 200 words of this essay...
September 23, 2001
Essay #1: Sociology
Sociology is the study of social life and social structure by examining the groups and social institutions in which people shape. Sociologists are concerned with the characteristics of groups, organizations, and societies, and how people's behaviors contribute within these contexts (www.smsu.edu). A sociology major provides a wide range of opportunities that requires only the B.A. or the B.S. degree, because almost any career requires the kind of skills and knowledge developed in studying sociology. This major ranges from the study of family relationships to the study of large bureaucratic institutions in major industrialized nations. Sociology majors may enter hundreds of career paths. They may specialize in criminology, demography, family relations, gerontology, social welfare, sex and gender, race relations, social change, and social status. Sociology majors can find jobs in social service agencies, public relations, government agencies, educational institutions, hospitals, management, and human resources. Employers search for people with the ability to work well under pressure, and to be able to read and write analytically (www.jmu.edu). Being a sociologist involves ethnographical, epistemological, and ideological that set sociologists with the dominant culture. Sociologists are
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Biomedical and the socio-medical models of health
- Identify current patterns of ill health and inequality in th...
- Assess the usefulness of feminist contributions to our under...
- Outline the reasons for gender differences in subject choice...
- Examine the weakness of different types of documents used in...
- Assess the view that the education system exists mainly to s...
- Outline and asses the view that new social movements express...
- Biological and Social Constructionist explanations of Gender...
- Assess the relation between sociology and social policy
- Feminism: A Sociological Overview
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.