- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Ethnic Riots of July 1964. MALAYSIA
The first 200 words of this essay...
Kimberly Wong Kristen
History Specimen Paper 2002
The Ethnic Riots of July 1964.
The situation at that period of time had already been very poor, and there were many different contributing factors that led to the build up and explosion of the ethnic riots. Till this day, there are still many disputes to the cause of the ethnic riots in 1964 and thus it is not necessarily true that UMNO was responsible for the outbreak of ethnic riots in 1964. However, this is an issue that may never be completely settled as it is extremely controversial. The Federal Government of Malaysia, dominated UMNO feared that as long as Singapore remained in the Federation, the policy of positive racial discrimination to the Malays would be undermined and therefore not in the interest of their pro-Malay agenda. Furthermore, we know that UMNO was using the Utasan Melayu to create tension and stir up trouble against the Singapore government. Thus, there is also evidence to challenge the statement that UMNO was not responsible for the ethnic riots.
Some sources claim that it was a build up of factors such as the circumstances during that period of time
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Sociological Differentiation & Stratification (view all)
- Biomedical and the socio-medical models of health
- Identify current patterns of ill health and inequality in th...
- Sociological Perspectives
- Outline the reasons for gender differences in subject choice...
- Use sociological terminology to describe the principal socio...
- Assess the view that the education system exists mainly to s...
- Outline and asses the view that new social movements express...
- Biological and Social Constructionist explanations of Gender...
- Assess the relation between sociology and social policy
- Feminism: A Sociological Overview
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""M Singh. English. A Level Student.