- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
To what extent do the media effects an individual's self-identity?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Sociology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
I have decided to look at to what extent the media affects an individuals self-identity. I am directly concerned with how the media affects young women within today's society, particularly through the use of gender stereotyping within young women's magazines, mainly through articles and advertisements. Here, the ideas and beliefs already created by the media are useful to advertisers because they are socially accepted ideologies. They know that they will influence women. It has been stated in the past that it is these media interpretations of 'The Perfect Woman' that have been the cause for so many women becoming increasingly pressured into looking good and so dieting, keeping fit etc. This can, in extreme cases lead to serious psychological diseases such as anorexia and bulimia, where one of the main causes has been identified as social pressure.
I am going to study this as, being a young woman in modern society myself, I have a very personal interest in this topic. Through conducting this research, I aim to prove my hypothesis that 'women are stereotyped in the advertising media, mainly through the use of supermodels and celebrities and made to feel they have a social duty to
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- Marketisation of education
- 'Society affects how people perceive themselves, Body Image ...
- How does media impact on our daily life?
- Different Types of Culture
- Gender representation in the media
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
- Television and How it Affects Society
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.