- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What is stereotyping?
The first 200 words of this essay...
24 October 2002
What is stereotyping? "A rigid mental image that summarizes whatever is believed to be typical about a group" (Robertson 1987). It's not as simple as it sounds or as it is used in everyday life. Due to our lack of interest in analyzing and understanding information we utilize the short cut called stereotyping. "Stereotyping is as natural to people as thinking itself" (Longstreet, 1978, p. 10). Life of people has become very complex and difficult and that has led to the increase in misinterpretations and wrong ideas about different groups of people. Stereotypes are inflexible and they are learned quickly from family, friends, coworkers and the media. It leads to inflexible categories on our minds and hearts. The most powerful source of stereotypes is our own negative experiences.
I have been stereotyped many times by the people on my way back home - on railway station, school, by taxi drivers etc. However, I never cared what people thought about me being an Indian because that used to distract my mind. There is this one incident that my friend happened to tell me, just
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Media (view all)
- Different Types of Culture
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Censorship.
- The Media is the most effective agency of socialisation. Dis...
- Assess sociological explanations of the relationship between...
- "Does the Mass Media Influence Youth Culture?"
- How Media, Advertising and Celebrity Culture Affects Female ...
- Do Video Games Develop Important Skills For Me?
- Media and The Sexualization of Young Girls
- To what extent does the Media affect body image in teens and...
- Gender relationships in "Barbie Girl" by Aqua
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.