- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Sally Mann was born in 1951 in Lexington, Virginia, where her father was the local doctor, and an amateur photographer.
In 1969 she began her photography career while at Vermont Putney School. She also attended Bennington College for two years where she met and married Larry Mann, and then received her BA at Hollins College in 1974 and got her degree in writing in 1975. She also studied photography at the Praestegaard Film School, Aegean School Of Fine Arts, Apeiron and the Ansel Adams Yosemite Workshop.
She made her professional debut in 1977 at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington. From 1984 - 1991, Mann focused on family and children and their relationships. Her early photographs were of her three young children, Emmett, Jessie and Virginia. The photos of her children let us see into the life of her family and display the freedom and innocence of childhood. These photos have been published in an album called Immediate Family. Her second compilation, At Twelve was published in 1988 and the photographs have captured young women in the unsure time between childhood and adulthood.
Sally Mann uses a one hundred year old 8"
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Art (view all)
- Art Evaluation
- discuss the use of imagery of light and dark in Of Mice and ...
- William Turner - "Fishermen at sea"
- Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon and Guernica
- Compare and contrast the northern with the Italian renaissan...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Zoey. University Student.