- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Homelessness in Chicago
The first 200 words of this essay...
Homelessness in the City of Chicago
Homelessness is a very serious problem in every major city in the United States, especially Chicago. Over the course of a year, between 2.3 and 3.5 million people experience homelessness nationwide and approximately 166,000 people experience homelessness in the Chicago Metropolitan area. (CCH) These numbers are astounding, but as a resident of the city I know firsthand that our city has an extraordinary amount of homeless. While the homeless face a daily struggle to stay alive, society turns its back on them. You should you ask yourself, "How do I react when I see a homeless person?" Throughout this essay, I will examine the history, causes and most importantly, what the City of Chicago is doing to help these people.
History of Homelessness in Chicago
Homelessness has been a part of Chicago since the early days of Fort Dearborn. (Slayton) However, it wasn't until the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, that it became an issue to serious to ignore. The fire that swept through the city left over 300 people dead while the damage to the city's buildings left 90,000 Chicagoans on the streets. With so many with
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economy & Economics (view all)
- Inequality in the UK.
- Monetary Policy and Fiscal Policy are two important tools of...
- The International Monetary Fund And Global Economic Crises
- The Difference Between Actual Growth and Potential Growth
- UK supermarkets - Oligopolistic competition
- Describe the Advantages of a Market Economy
- Exchange Rates and their Effect on Morocco Report.
- The Potential Impact of Government Policies on My Business P...
- China and Economic growth, Case Study
- Research the Causes of financial crisis in 2008 & 2011 a...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.