- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
It was suggested by Adam Smith in 1776 that individuals led by self interest, accidentally advance the interests of society.
- Essay length: 3138 words
- Submitted: 21/10/2003
The first 200 words of this essay...
HND Social Science
Public Sector Economics
Unit Number: 6420222
Langside College Glasgow
Author: Alex Leckie
Lecturer: Janet Cole
It was suggested by Adam Smith in 1776 that individuals led by self interest, accidentally advance the interests of society. If this is true and the selfish free market economy efficiently allocates resources at minimum cost, why is there a need for any government intervention in the economy? A simple answer for this is the concept of Market Failure.
Market failure is the incapacity of an unfettered market to efficiently allocate resources in certain situations. There are diverse reasons why efficiency may not be achieved some of these are:
Public and Merit Goods
Many goods and services that we take for granted would not be provided for in an unregulated free market without government intervention. The legal system, defence forces, schools, roads and health services are just some of the benefits we receive due to this intervention. Admittedly the private sector has recently become involved in some of these but all are still very much regulated by the government.
A pure public
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economy & Economics (view all)
- Monetary Policy and Fiscal Policy are two important tools of...
- The International Monetary Fund And Global Economic Crises
- Inequality in the UK.
- UK supermarkets - Oligopolistic competition
- Define "The multiplier effect" and explain how it ...
- Describe the Advantages of a Market Economy
- Exchange Rates and their Effect on Morocco Report.
- The Potential Impact of Government Policies on My Business P...
- China and Economic growth, Case Study
- Research the Causes of financial crisis in 2008 & 2011 a...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.