- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Main characteristics of free market economy
The first 200 words of this essay...
A Market economy (free market economy) is a social institution where the basic economic problem of "what, how, for whom to produce" is solved by the firms and consumers who decide what they will produce and purchase, as opposed to a Centrally Planned Economy in which the government controls the basic economic problem. In a Market economy the "means of labour" are owned mainly privately, which enables the owners to act in accordance with their own self-interests. Everybody acts on their own behalf, yet everybody's actions are aimed at the satisfaction of the consumer's needs as well as at their own satisfaction. This system is manoeuvred by "price mechanism" where the prices of goods and services are not set by the government but by the interchange of supply and demand in which the price acts as a signal for suppliers to increase or decrease supply and reach equilibrium between the supply and demand and optimal allocation of resource. Through the price mechanism supply is shared, income is distributed and resources are allocated efficiently.
The production and allocation of the goods and services are done through the system of free markets. A
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economy & Economics (view all)
- Economic growth is a necessary but not sufficient condition ...
- Identify the key factors that determine the level of investm...
- Distinction Between Economic Growth and Economic Development
- How do economic systems solve the problem of scarcity?
- The Difference Between Actual Growth and Potential Growth
- IGCSE AND GCSE Economics Units 1 and 2 Notes - markets and t...
- Describe the Advantages of a Market Economy
- Exchange Rates and their Effect on Morocco Report.
- The Potential Impact of Government Policies on My Business P...
- China and Economic growth, Case Study
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.