- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Ohio Pilot Scholarship Program
- Essay length: 13722 words
- Submitted: 28/01/2005
The first 200 words of this essay...
Last Thursday, the Supreme Court favorably decided a case so fundamentally about freedom that its very adjudication was hard to believe.
It involved an experimental Cleveland program offering low-income children scholarships to attend either public or private schools. Your education, your choice - what could be more straightforward? Yet it was not just opposed, but vehemently so, by the public education industry. This opposition raises two questions: Why is the public education industry so opposed to this particular experiment and why are they so generally liberal?
The answer to both questions has more to do with economics than education.
Begun in 1996 because of unrelenting mismanagement in Cleveland's public schools, the Ohio Pilot Scholarship Program offers low-income children up to $2,500 annually through eighth grade to pay either a private or on an out-of-district public school's tuition. No out-of-district public schools chose to participate, so in the 1999-2000 school year all 3,761 students participated attended private schools. Because 96 percent of program students chose to attend church-affiliated schools, it was hauled before the courts on the grounds of violating the Constitution's establishment of religion clause under the First Amendment.
The federal government's
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Economy & Economics (view all)
- The ability of an organisation to adapt to change in its ext...
- "Using demand and supply diagrams explain recent change...
- To what extent does remoteness from the geographical core ex...
- The Housing Market
- Consider the factors involved, including the market entry mo...
- Describe the Advantages of a Market Economy
- Exchange Rates and their Effect on Morocco Report.
- The Potential Impact of Government Policies on My Business P...
- China and Economic growth, Case Study
- Research the Causes of financial crisis in 2008 & 2011 a...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.