- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
ANTIGONE: Major Characters in a play usually undergo a change of some sort. In the play you have studied, how is the change in the major characters linked to a key theme or themes?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Major Characters in a play usually undergo a change of some sort. In the play you have studied, how is the change in the major characters linked to a key theme or themes?
Antigone is about how King Creon rules that Polynices the traitor is not to be buried, but his sister Antigone defies the order. She is caught, and sentenced by Creon to be buried alive - even though she is betrothed to his son Haemon. After the blind prophet Tiresias proves that the gods are on Antigone's side, Creon changes his mind - but too late. He goes first to bury Polynices, but Antigone has already hanged herself. When Creon arrives at the tomb, Haemon attacks him and then kills himself. When the news of their death is reported, Creon's wife Eurydice takes her own life. Creon is alone in his life, full of guilt.
The major characters in Antigone in my opinion are Antigone and Creon. Both undergo very major dramatic changes in their life. Antigone's changes are mainly linked to the themes of the position of women as a Greek and the theme of the individual versus the state and divine law
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Hardness of water
- Medea - Euripides lived during the Golden Age of Athens, the...
- Describe the organisation and events of the Great Dionysia f...
- What Were The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Women In Athen...
- Explain how Shakespeare portrays men and women and relations...
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.