- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Odyssey Chapter Summaries. Books 5 to 12
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Classics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Odyssey Chapter Summaries
Summary: Book 5
All the gods except Poseidon gather again on Mount Olympus to discuss Odysseus's fate. Athena's feels it is justified to help Odysseys reach home since she sympathizes him after his rough journey. Hermes, messenger of the gods, is sent to Calypso's island to tell her that Odysseus must at last be allowed to leave so he can return home. In reply, Calypso is very upset and feels it is not fair. She complains that they are allowed to take mortal lovers while the affairs of the female gods must always be discouraged. In the end, agrees to the wishes of Zeus. Calypso gave him the necessary tools to build himself a boat, and stocks it with food, wine, milk and clothing from her island. They sleep together for the last time then with sadness, she watches as he sails away. After eighteen days at sea, Odysseus spots Scheria, the island of the Phaeacians, his next destination appointed by the gods. Just then, Poseidon, returning from a trip to the land of the Ethiopians, spots him and realizes what the other gods have done in his absence. Poseidon stirs up a storm,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Character Sketch on Creon in Jean Anouilh's version of Antig...
- 'How would you direct the confrontation between Creon and Ha...
- 'How would you perform the role of Antigone in her final app...
- Research Study C4 Keeping Clean
- Antigone written by Jean Anouilh
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student