- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
The "Spartans," who were they, where did they come from and what did they accomplish for Greece and, in time modern society. All these questions I hope to answer in my investigation. I found the Spartan, very interesting when I first encountered them in "The Odyssey" by Homer, where we hear of "Helen of Sparta," the partner of both "Paris of Troy" and his enemy and his city's enemy "Menelaus of Sparta."
The entire war in fact broke out because Helen ran away with Paris and the whole of Greece was dragged into what at first was a personal feud. Had this not happened none of the Odyssey would have taken place and the old fable like story, as it seems to have developed, of the giant wooden horse outside the city walls of Troy at the end of Trojan war. Therefore, in only looking at one person in Spartan history we can see how much the city affected our modern society.
Although Athens is one of the most interesting and exciting ancient cities according to some modern scholars, interest in Sparta is becoming greater and greater and this is clear by looking at
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Was Odysseus a hero?
- Odysseus, Good Leader or Bad Leader?
- What skills does Odysseus possess which enable him to surviv...
- Is Okonkwo a tragic hero deserving of our sympathy or a viol...
- Are Meursault in Camus' The Outsider and Antigone in Anouilh...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.