- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What part does Phaeacia play in the Odyssey
The first 200 words of this essay...
What part does Phaeacia play in the Odyssey?
The episode with Phaeacia begins where Odysseus has been away from his home for twenty years, and is longing to return to Ithaca and Penelope. This book is very important and involves certain tests for Odysseus to come across. At the beginning of this book, we are told that the princess, Nausicaa, is described as "tall and beautiful as a goddess." Alcinous as good as offers Odysseus his daughter for marriage to him by saying he would be lucky to have Odysseus n his family. This is a test for Odysseus because he has to decide whether to stay here on this magical island, but he refuses to be tempted, and still chooses to try and return to Ithaca.
Nausicaa is described as a goddess, and this island is very close to the Gods'. This is important, because Phaeacia does not ever involve themselves in wars or conflict with any other communities or islands, and the people were very close to the Gods' which is in contrast to Odysseus. For instance Odysseus is far from feeling close to the God's, but as we learn, Athene is constantly helping him
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Classics (view all)
- Language - Antigone
- To Kill A Mockingbird Essay
- child development coursework visit 1
- Describe the organisation and events of the Great Dionysia f...
- Looking at the similarities and context of the plays; The Cr...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.