- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain the need for nutrition by living organisms.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Design and technology and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
1) EXPLAIN THE NEED FOR NUTRITION BY LIVING ORGANISMS.
Nutrition is the science of how our bodies obtain energy, build tissue, and control body functions using materials supplied in the food we eat. Nutrients are chemical substances needed by the body. The need for nutrition by living organisms is essential for survival in the sense that it provides energy and material for growth and repair and for the general function of the human system and its maintenance. Different foods we eat contain at least one of the seven major nutrients namely; carbohydrate, protein, fats, vitamins, minerals, roughages and water. There are two types of nutrition Heterotrops and Autotrops -
We are unable to make our own food from the sun as plants do. We get our food by eating plants or other animals.
Our bodies need food for a variety of reasons:
Growth: Food, especially proteins, makes new cells and tissues as we grow.
Energy: The body is like a working machine that needs energy to keep it going. During cellular respiration food is changed into energy for many activities e.g. the heart pumping blood around our bodies. Energy rich
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Food Technology (view all)
- What makes a balanced diet?
- I have been asked to produce an A4 booklet describing the co...
- We all need to eat food in order to provide raw materials fo...
- A Balanced Diet.
- A Balanced Diet.
- Chocolate. 1) Who first created or discovered chocolate? 2)...
- This task will describe three examples of food contamination...
- What small steps can people in the UK take to becoming more ...
- Should my child have school dinners instead of packed lunche...
- My aim is to prepare a meal and compare each component with ...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.