- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Explain why Quarry Bank Mill was built on this site.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Q2. Explain why Quarry Bank Mill was built on this site.
Samuel Greg is the son of a Belfast merchant and ship owner. Greg had been a partner in a firm with his uncle dealing in fustian, a cloth produced using both linen and cotton. When Robert Hyde, his uncle, died in 1782 he had left nearly £30,000 to Samuel Greg. Since Greg had a background in textile manufacturing he would know what was involved in the job and what the trade was like. Although he was in an exceptional financial position he would still have to find the cheapest way possible of running a mill. When deciding where the mill was to be built, he would have to consider the cost, together with other factors, such as where a power source suitable, would always be available to him.
The most minor factors of where to build the mill, which were probably just preferred, was the climate and local connections. The climate would help if it was wet, to help keep the mill damp and Greg might want to stay local to his family and stay in Manchester.
The most important factors to consider
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Resistant Materials (view all)
- Investigating The Effectiveness of a Home - Insulation Metho...
- An explanation of the impact of 'new' materials on product d...
- Analysis of Existing Products.
- The use of CAD/CAM in organizations.
- Metallography. The objective of our experiment is to learn s...
- Design Technology Investigation. Guiding question: How can ...
- Design need research for a new toy.
- Analysis of Research for my Lamp Design.
- Evaluating my design for a camping chair.
- Product Analysis - my table lamp design
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.