- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
STIs and HIV/AIDS
The first 200 words of this essay...
Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
What is a STI?
When two people have sex together their bodies are very close and this can lead to germs passing between them if one of the people already has a certain disease. This can be from touching or kissing each others genitals or from having sexual intercourse.
STIs are diseases which are passed from person to person in this way.
The main STIs are:
* genital warts
* trich (trichomoniasis or TV)
* genital herpes
* pubic lice (crabs)
* syphilis (the 'pox').
* Hepatitis B
Most STIs are passed between people through unprotected intercourse but some can also be passed on during oral sex and other intimate physical contact. They are not usually passed on through mouth to mouth kissing, sitting on a toilet seat, sharing a drinking cup, touching someone, sharing a towel or flannel, from swimming pools etc. This is because most of the germs causing STIs need warm, moist environments to survive. There are exceptions to this rule including;
* If someone has syphilis or
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Reviews of Personal Performances (view all)
- Critically evaluate the practical use of Person-Centred Coun...
- In this unit we looked at the beginning of Steven Berkoffs a...
- "Is the pursuit of Knowledge worthwhile?"
- In this essay I will explore Carl Rogers core conditions and...
- Drama Essay - Blood Brothers
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.