- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
‘Golding knows exactly what boys are like’ (from a Times review, 1954). Discuss Golding’s portrayal of boys in the light of this comment
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Golding knows exactly what boys are like' (from a Times review, 1954). Discuss Golding's portrayal of boys in the light of this comment
What are boys like? This is a question often asked by various people. How do they behave both individually and in a group situation, particularly a dangerous and unfamiliar one like this? Are they different to adults. What would happen if, during a full-scale nuclear war, a group of boys, of contrasting characters, were given the chance of a new start - a new Eden? Would they behave any differently? Is conflict inevitable? 'The Lord Of the Flies' was set in a period where the tensions between the USSR (United Soviet States of Russia) and the USA (United States of America) were at their height and this book attempts to answer all of these questions, but are the answers presented accurate, and if so, how far?
The reader quickly becomes aware of the range of personalities on the island Ralph immediately is portrayed as a leading figure as he seems to command Piggy, "sucks to your ass-mar", although it could be seen as a sign of frustration or a put-down, and surveys the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Golding (view all)
- Lord of the flies. How does Golding make Simon such a signi...
- Fear of the Unknown- Lord of the Flies
- Less Obvious Symbols in Lord of the Flies
- What is the importance of Simon in 'Lord of the Flies'
- How much Sympathy do you have for Piggy in Chapter One?
- Golding - Lord of the Flies extract - confronting the beast.
- I will explore how the themes of civilisation and barbarity ...
- Lord of the Flies -Symbolism and the Character of Jack.
- Macbeth by Shakespeare and Lord of the Flies by William Gold...
- How Does Golding Use The Island As A Character In Lord Of Th...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.