- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
“Many of Heaney’s poems deal with the Loss of Innocence and the Getting of Wisdom” :- Discuss\Illustrate
The first 200 words of this essay...
DEATH OF A NATURALIST : SEAMUS HEANEY
"Many of Heaney's poems deal with the Loss of Innocence and the Getting of Wisdom" :- DiscussIllustrate
The collection is an autobiography illustrating lessons Heaney has learnt during his life. The collection begins with poems written in the eyes of a child, and as we progress through the poems, the protagonist seems be getting older and perhaps wiser. The childhood innocence present early on in the collection seems to fade away during his life's experiences, which show him the inevitability of death and decay, the bad nature of certain humans, and the fact that fear is one of man's greatest opponents.
These realisations of Heaney's are gradual and start off by being less serious. The poem Death of a Naturalist shows a newly found fear of Heaney's. His childish paranoia leads him to believe "the great slime kings Were gathered there for vengeance", due to him consistently stealing frogspawn. The ugly, menacing look of the frogs, "loose necks pulsed like snails", cause Heaney to run away scared because of a childish assumption that if he tries taking any eggs"the spawn may clutch it".
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Seamus Heaney (view all)
- Compare the poems 'Mid-Term Break' by Seamus Heaney and ' 'O...
- Comparing Mid-Term Break with Digging
- Digging by Seamus Heaney, Catrin by Gillian Clarke, Little B...
- Discuss the poems 'Death of a Naturalist' and 'Personal Heli...
- Themes in Death of a Naturalist.
- How does Heaney make "Mid-Term Break" such a movin...
- In what ways does Heaney vividly convey feelings of disappoi...
- How does Heaney vividly explore the nature of fear in An Adv...
- Mid-Term Break - Adaption from poem to story
- Mid-Term Break: Critical Essay. Heaney reveals his true fee...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student