- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
"A streetcar named Desire" written by Tennessee Williams.
The first 200 words of this essay...
"A streetcar named Desire" written by Tennessee Williams. It was set at Elysian Fields, a district of New Orleans. This play was published in November 1947. In this exceptional story the readers are introduced to the main character named Blanche DuBois. This hypercritical women with dishonest manners moves to New Orleans intending to move in with her younger sister Stella Kowalski and her husband Stanley.
In Scene 1, Blanche DuBois arrives from Belle Reve (claiming to have lost their mansion) to New Orleans, where her younger sister Stella is living with her husband Stanley who are living in a small apartment. She comes intending to stay with Stella without giving Stella notice of her arrival. She comes dressed extravagantly and wearing attractive jewellery. Stella, having not seen Blanche for a while and without the faintest idea of her arrival, is surprised to see her older sister Blanche after several years. Straightaway Blanche tells Stella about her poor lifestyle and how things have completely changed since Stella left.
In Scene 2, Stella's husband Stanley starts to not like Blanche in this scene, as he demands for some proof of the loss of the old mansion in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
A Streetcar Named Desire (view all)
- 'Holes' by Louis Sacher. A Character Study.
- How and Why does Williams dramatise the influence of the pas...
- What impact does coming to Eyam and the events of the play t...
- A Streetcar Named Desire - scene by scene analysis.
- How much sympathy do we feel for Blanche in the opening scen...
- Discuss and analyse the way Tennessee Williams presents Blan...
- The Depiction of Patriarchy in "A Streetcar Named Desir...
- To what extent does Williams portray Blanche as a tragic her...
- Streetcar Named Desire - Key Incident Essay
- A Street Car Named Desire The Kowalskis and Du Bois have dif...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.