- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
About the Writer Willy Russell.
The first 200 words of this essay...
About the Writer Willy Russell
William Russell was born in Whiston - just outside Liverpool, in 1947. At primary school he enjoyed reading, football and gardening, these were the only subjects he likes, but at secondary school he was consigned to the factory fodder D stream. It was in this surprising environment that he conceived the idea of being a writer. His only experience of factory work caused him to fail to obtain a printing apprenticeship, so his mother suggested he trained to be a women's hairdresser. He trained and worked as a women's hairdresser for five years, eventually running his own salon. After this he was seeking a career that would give him a greater opportunity and understanding of being a writer. He decided to become a student, having now passed O level English at night classes. No local education authority would give him a bursary, so he spent some time girder cleaning at Fords in order to fund his college O & A level studies. He only did this long enough so that he could afford the course; he spent no time extra doing this job as climbing up on dirty, oily girders was a very
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Educating Rita (view all)
- In Montana 1948, written by Larry Watson, the events that to...
- How Does Willy Russell Convey the Class difference between R...
- "In Montana 1948 by Larry Watson, Wesley Hayden is esse...
- Willy Russell's attitude to education as revealed in Educati...
- To What Extent Would You Agree That 'Educating Rita' Depicts...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.