- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
An inspector calls is a modern reality play. Priestley wanted his audience to learn from his drama
The first 200 words of this essay...
An Inspector calls
"An inspector calls is a modern reality play. Priestley wanted his audience to learn from his drama"
Part 2 Post 1914 Drama Assignment
John Boynton Priestley was born on the 13th September 1894 and was brought up in Bradford, by a middleclass family. His father was a schoolmaster and both his grandparents were mill workers; he often made visits to the mills of which his family worked and these visits gave him an insight into the exploitation that was taking place in the mills. From this came the inspiration for the famous play 'An Inspector Calls' where it is made openly known about the hardship and poverty of working class families in the early 1900's.
I believe that Playwrights main intention when writing the play 'An Inspector calls' was to show and teach us how society in Edwardian times was so cruel, he tells us about the horrible suicide of a young working class girl 'Eva Smith' and how an upper class family came to play such major parts in the events leading up to her death.
The play opens on the Birling family all happily gathered around their dining table celebrating
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- Discuss The Role Of Eric Birling In The Play: An Inspector C...
- Discussthe role of the Inspector in the play 'An Inspector C...
- The apportioning of blame and responsibility are central the...
- EVA Smith's DIARY ENTRIES
- Priestley presents ideas about responsibility in an 'An Insp...
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.