- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Analysis of John Foulcher's For The Fire and Loch Ard Gorge.
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words" - Robert Frost.
Poets convey their thoughts and emotions throughout their poems in a wide range off of ways, with the use of many different techniques. These emotions and thoughts could be hidden deeply or so simply written. Robert Frost quotes - "Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words" which is basically stating that what is written in poems is thought that is already in your mind. You just have to find the words to describe it. This is exactly what the poet has done in the 2 poems I have studied both by John Foulcher 'For The Fire' and 'Loch Ard Gorge'.
In 'For The Fire' John Foulcher conveys the emotion to be somewhat mysterious and horrifying. The mysterious nature is shown by the quote 'It's singular, human thud' which is giving the impression of a person walking, but in reality it's actually the sound of a Kookaburra beating a lizard to death. Whilst the horrifying nature is shown by the use of many harsh words to show the violence including: 'hacks', 'axe-blade', 'stunned
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Poets (view all)
- In the poem Prayer before Birth, the poet Louise MacNeice ha...
- Analysis of 'But These Things Also'
- The poem Slow Reader by Vicki Feaver relates her experiences...
- "The Planners" is a poem where Boey Kim Cheng desc...
- Horses by Edwin Muir
- Compare and contrast Jackie Kays presentation of childhood i...
- An Unknown Girl. Throughout the poem, devices such as symbo...
- W.H.Auden's Shield of Achilles - Short Summary and Analysis
- Poem Commentary On Continuum By Allen Curnow
- In Barter by Sara Teasdale, the author uses many literary te...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.