- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Arthur Miller - Discuss the appeal of 'The Crucible' to its audience.
The first 200 words of this essay...
English Literature Coursework:
by Arthur Miller
Discuss the appeal of 'The Crucible' to its audience
'The Crucible' is a 20th century play that focuses on the Salem witchcraft trials of 1692. These events led to mass hysteria over the persecution of those who, allegedly, participated in acts of incantation. Over-exaggeration, emotion, tautness, suspense and the eradication of characters (due to their alleged involvement in witchcraft) are the main themes of the play throughout the four volatile scenes of 'The Crucible'. The audience observing would be enticed by the mood swings of characters and their persecution for such crimes in the theocratic village, where interrogated citizens in the dense society were forced to name other possible witches. If they failed to produce names of others, they would be hanged ruthlessly. The inhabitants of Salem believed in witches and the Devil and that the Bible had instructed them that witches must be hanged. A feeling of inequity is sensed here. The events of the play, first performed in England in 1954, are analogous to the McCarthy era in the USA , where anyone suspected of criticising the government or its direction was to be
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Miller (view all)
- "Eddie Carbone is the classic tragic protagonist whose ...
- How does Miller present Eddie Carbone as a tragic hero in
- Discuss How Miller Presents The Theme Of Greed And Envy with...
- How does Miller succeed in making Eddie someone with whom th...
- Discuss the Role of Alfieri in the play A View From the Brid...
- How is Eddie Represented in 'A View from the Bridge'?
- In some sense, 'The Crucible' has the arrangement of a trage...
- Death of a Salesman. What do you think makes this conversati...
- How does Miller make the Vinny Bolzano Story a Fascinating M...
- Jealousy is a very important theme in the play A view from a...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.