- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Arthur Miller's 'A View From The Bridge' was set in 1955.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Arthur Miller's 'A View From The Bridge' was set in 1955. Miller lived in Brooklyn; it is here that the play was set. A longshoreman told the original story of this play 'A View From The Bridge', which miller based his story upon. 'Eddie' is a longshoreman. Miller worked alongside Italian immigrants, he learnt about there struggles in life in there own country and how there families were left behind, miller uses this in the play. The fact that miller used Italian immigrants as the characters in his play shows that he regards ordinary people as important. A View From The Bridge was written as a play to show the realism of the story to the audience, and highlight the emotion behind the play.
To open the play Miller uses stage directions. He sets the play in Brooklyn. The setting of the play is mainly in the living room-dinning room in Eddie's apartment. This would affect the audience by creating a tense atmosphere because of the space in the rooms. Eddie's apartment mainly has all the action and everything is happening there, but Miller still describes the outer streets to show the realism of the play to the audience.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Arthur Miller (view all)
- Theme of love in a view from the bridge
- A View From the Bridge - The whole of this play involves sym...
- Human Motivation in the Crucible. Abigail, Thomas Putnam, an...
- Examine miller's presentation of the marriage of John and El...
- The Crucible: Act III quotes and analysis
- How is Eddie Represented in 'A View from the Bridge'?
- In some sense, 'The Crucible' has the arrangement of a trage...
- Death of a Salesman. What do you think makes this conversati...
- How does Miller make the Vinny Bolzano Story a Fascinating M...
- Jealousy is a very important theme in the play A view from a...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.