- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Biography on the life of Charles Dickens.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Biography on the life of Charles Dickens
Charles John Huffam Dickens, one of the greatest ever Victorian writers was born on 7th February 1812 in Landport, Portsmouth as the son of John and Elizabeth Dickens. His family moved to Chatham, and Dickens considered his years there as the happiest of his childhood.
His father John worked as a clerk in the Navy Payroll Office in Portsmouth and then in 1822, they moved back to London, where the family lived in Camden Town. Dickens' family was considered middle class, but his father had a difficult time managing money. His spending had brought the family to financial disaster, and in 1824, John Dickens was put in prison for debt.
Charles was left school at the age of 12 and go to work at Warren's Blacking Factory, which was a shoe dye factory, to help support the Dickens family. During this period, Dickens lived alone in a lodging house in North London and considered the entire experience the most terrible of his life and would later write that he wondered 'how I could have been so easily cast away at such an age'.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
David Copperfield (view all)
- What impression does Charles Dickens create of the Murdstone...
- Compare the two short stories, 'The Signal Man' by Dickens a...
- David Copperfield - Mr. Murdstone plays an important role as...
- The Way Education is presented in the Novel David Copperfiel...
- About Charles Dickens
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.