- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
' Box Room ' - Liz Lochhead.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Comparative Essays and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
' Box Room ' - Liz Lochhead
Liz Lochhead's poem ' Box Room ' clearly presents her contradictory thoughts and feelings about an experience. A first visit to a boyfriend's hostile mother is first presented with great confidence but later becomes an experience of unease and despair.
The first few lines of the poem show that the mother is very hostile :
First the welcoming. Smiles all round. A space
These are non- sentences, like stage directions, which give the impression that the mother is putting on a performance and it was insincere. The girl is very confident of her relationship with her boyfriend. Although the mother tries to make her feel she is only temporary :
He'll make do tonight
In the lounge on the put -u -up. All right
For a night or two.
This phrase shows that the mother thinks the girl will only be staying for a night or two and then she will have left. The mother also tells the girl she is not the first girl he has brought home:
Once or twice before
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Comparisons (view all)
- Compare and Contrast Horses by Edwin Muir and Pike by Ted Hu...
- English Poem Comparison Island Man
- Consider how relationships are presented in Harmonium by Sim...
- Harmonium and Praise Song for my Mother Comparison English L...
- Compare how poets present the experience of soldiers in Bayo...
- Loss is a key, reoccurring theme in my two poems of choice; ...
- How do Carol Anne Duffy in Havisham and Simon Armitage in Ki...
- Carol Anne Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh both use their poetry to ...
- How do James Fenton and Carol Ann Duffy present ideas about ...
- Comparing Nettles and Praise song for my mother
""Zoey. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.