- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
By comparing‘The Yellow Wallpaper’ with ‘Hop Frog’ discuss the ways in which the writersportray the central characters.
The first 200 words of this essay...
By comparing 'The Yellow Wallpaper' with 'Hop Frog' discuss the ways in which the writers portray the central characters.
March 2003 Olivia Presland
Center Number 19139 English Literature Coursework
St. Felix School
'The Yellow Wallpaper' and 'Hop Frog' were both written at a time of social turbulence and revolution. Poe wrote Hop Frog twelve years prior to the American civil war, so it is fitting that many of the ideas in the story carry a strong anti-slavery message. Similarly, 'The Yellow Wallpaper' was written in 1892 just before the climax of equal-rights for women. Gillman's 'The Yellow Wallpaper' is one of the early feminist texts in which her writing criticises the position that women were oppressed into and the ignorance of society as a whole. Both Gillman and Poe attack fiercely these ideas that were both upheld and willingly accepted by the majority of society. These two settings immediately portray the two central characters, a woman and a slave, as two of an unheard minority, who were subjected to an unjust, patriarchal world.
One of the main similarities between 'Hop Frog' and 'The Yellow Wallpaper' is the atmosphere of each of the stories. Both
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Edgar Allan Poe (view all)
- Compare and contrast the narrative techniques used in three ...
- Romanticism in "The Fall of the House of Usher"
- 'The Black Cat' by Edgar Allan Poe
- Compare and contrast 'The Black Cat', 'The Cask Of Amontilla...
- "The Fall of the House of Usher" - A Critical Anal...
- Explore the ways in which Poe creates suspense in a selectio...
- Compare the ways in which Poe creates suspense for the reade...
- How Edgar Allen Poe Builds Tension in His Short Stories [Yr...
- Ways Edgar Allen Poe created Tension in the"Tell Tale H...
- How does Edgar A. Poe build up suspense and tension in The C...
""Zoey. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.