- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare ‘The Adventure of The Speckled Band’ and ‘Lamb to the Slaughter’ referring to the structure, language and characterisation. In what ways are the stories typical of the detective story genre.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare 'The Adventure of The Speckled Band' and 'Lamb to the Slaughter' referring to the structure, language and characterisation. In what ways are the stories typical of the detective story genre.
In this essay I am going to compare the two crime and detection stories 'The Adventure of The Speckled Band' and 'Lamb to the Slaughter'
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote 'The Speckled Band' in 1892. It was widely admired as one of the best written and most exciting Sherlock Holmes stories. 'The Speckled Band' is about a middle class family where a murder is committed and Sherlock Holmes is called in to investigate it. He successfully solves the case and we find out that the step-dad kills the daughter who is just about to get married because once the daughter gets married the step-dad wont be able to claim any money from the mothers will.
Roald Dahl wrote 'Lamb to the Slaughter' in 1954. Roald Dahl specialised in writing short stories of the unexpected horror and surprise such as 'Kiss Kiss' in 1960. His children's books display a similar taste for the grotesque such as 'James and the Giant Peach' 1961 and 'Charlie and the Chocolate
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Roald Dahl (view all)
- Lamb to the Slaughter and Vendetta
- Write a comparative essay about two stories you have studied...
- Compare and contrast the two short stories "The Speckle...
- Compare and Contrast the two short stories Lamb to the slaug...
- Comparing Roald Dahl's 'Lamb to the Slaughter' 1954 and 'The...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.