- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and contrast 'Last Lesson of the Afternoon,' 'The Best of School' (both by D.H Lawrence) and an extract from William Goldsmith's 'The Deserted Village' called 'The Schoolmaster'.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Prose and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
English Literature Coursework Assignment C
Look closely at 'Last Lesson of the Afternoon,' 'The Best of School' (both by D.H Lawrence) and an extract from William Goldsmith's 'The Deserted Village' called 'The Schoolmaster'.
Compare and contrast the ways in which the two poems convey the world of school and of the schoolmaster.
The first poem I will look at is Oliver Goldsmith's 'The Schoolmaster', which is an extract from a poem published by Oliver Goldsmith called 'The Deserted Village.' It is about how Goldsmith returns to his birthplace to find the population has emigrated. The village called Auburn is a fictional town but is believed to be based on the town where he grew up. Goldsmith grew up on a town called Lissoy in the South West of Ireland. In 'The Schoolmaster' Goldsmith conveys the schoolmaster as an all knowing and a well-respected individual in the local community. I think that the way the Schoolmaster is described in the poem is exaggerated.
Throughout the poem Goldsmith speaks from idealised memories. From these memories he paints a portrait of a person and a community this compares with Brian Friel's Philadelphia, Here I Come.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
DH Lawrence (view all)
- Compare the two poems, 'The Best of School' and 'Last Lesson...
- Focusing on Tickets please discuss the ways in which DH Lawr...
- Refer to D.H. Lawrence's 'Last Lesson of the Afternoon' and ...
- "Snake" By D. H. Lawrence - review
- In "The Rocking-Horse Winner" by D.H. Lawrence, th...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo