- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare And Contrast Seamus Heaney's Poems 'Digging' And 'Follower'.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare And Contrast Seamus Heaney's Poems 'Digging' And 'Follower'
Seamus Heaney's poems, 'Digging' and 'Follower' portray to us the strong relationship between the father and son, as Heaney tends to look up to the elders in his family. Both poems create that pastoral atmosphere with the title, 'Digging' suggests delving into the past. 'Follower' on the other hand gives us an image of the child's view of farming. The poems suggest Heaney's father is skilled at manual labour, and therefore someone to be looked up to. The poem 'Follower' illustrates the strength and skill, possessed by Heaney's father. The poem 'Digging' suggests the immense skill needed to master working in the countryside. The rhythm in 'Digging' tends to match the digging of the spade; where as in 'Follower' it tends to match the size and supremacy of Heaney's father. Both 'Digging' and 'Follower' tell us stories, which are similar but yet different.
This poem 'Digging' is quite similar to 'Follower' as it shows how young Heaney looked up to his elders. Heaney sees his grandfather as old, "straining" to dig "flowerbeds". The poet recalls his father digging "potato drills" and his grandfather digging peat. Heaney
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Seamus Heaney (view all)
- Seamus Heaney's poems explore the loss of childhood and the ...
- Commentary on "Casualty" by Seamus Heaney.
- "An advancement of learning" and "Churning Da...
- Explore the ways in which Follower and Digging, by Seamus He...
- The Early Purges
- How does Heaney make "Mid-Term Break" such a movin...
- In what ways does Heaney vividly convey feelings of disappoi...
- How does Heaney vividly explore the nature of fear in An Adv...
- Mid-Term Break - Adaption from poem to story
- Mid-Term Break: Critical Essay. Heaney reveals his true fee...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.