- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Birling and inspector Goole. How does Priestley use dramatic devices to help shape audiences response to view represented in the play.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and contrast the characters of Mr. Birling and inspector Goole.
How does Priestley use dramatic devices to help shape audiences
Response to view represented in the play.
John Boynton Priestley was born in Bradford, Yorkshire on 13th September 1984 the play an inspector calls was written by him in 1945. It came on stage in Burnley Lancashire in 1914, although it was set in 1912. The characters- the Birling family have a dinning room which is constant throughout the play, where there is nothing to distract the audience. Priestley uses many dramatic/linguistic devices to create dramatic irony in order to help shape the audiences response.
When comparing and contrasting Mr. Birling and the Inspector they are two opposite characters, Priestley uses them as representations to educate the audience. When the two characters meet. Birling speaks very posh towards the Inspector to intimidate him and try to make himself look good and great " oh just before you came - I'd been giving these young men a little advice". The Inspector proves to be uninterested and speaks very carefully with short replies. In the play Birling s seen as a "hard headed business man". With
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
J.B. Priestley (view all)
- EVA Smith's DIARY ENTRIES
- Discussthe role of the Inspector in the play 'An Inspector C...
- Discuss The Role Of Eric Birling In The Play: An Inspector C...
- Examine the way Inspector Goole is presented in "An Ins...
- Inspector Calls - Sheila Birling character review.
- An Inspector Calls: Do you think Mrs Birling is more to blam...
- An Inspector Calls Extract - Act One. W h a t d o e s t ...
- Explore the Development of the Character of Sheila in 'An In...
- How does Priestly portray Mr Birling in Act 1?
- How is Eva Smith presented in the play? What is the function...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.