- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare and Contrast the Poems
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and Contrast the Poems "City Jungle" by Pie Corbett, "London" by William Blake and "Londinium" by Catatonia - How Do These Poems Portray Cities and City Life
"City Jungle" by Pie Corbett, "London" by William Blake and "Londinium" by Catatonia are poems that share the same theme: cities and city life. They each have negative opinions of cities and similar themes and messages, that cities are unpleasant. The poems are however, vastly different in their style; "City Jungle" has a fun atmosphere, whereas "Londinium" and "London" have depressing atmospheres (especially "London").
"City jungle" is simple, direct and modern title that paradoxically compares cities to jungles; both are over crowded, hostile places though are opposite extremes on the spectrum of civilisation and nature. "City Jungle" maybe a description of cities in general rather one specific city as we are not told which city is being described.
"London" is another simple, direct and modern title (although the poem itself is complex and old-fashioned). We know that London is the city being described in the poem because of the title "London" and the description of the River Thames and of Buckingham Palace.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
William Blake (view all)
- William Blake's
- Discuss the views of London presented in the poems 'London',...
- William Blake: The Sick Rose
- Blake & Wordsworth were both Romantic Poets, yet their v...
- DISCUSS BLAKE'S PRESENTATION OF CHILDREN AND CHILDHOOD IN TH...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.