- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Compare and contrast the role of two minor characters from two different plays.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Compare and contrast the role of two minor characters from two different plays
In the play Twelfth Night Maria is a waiting gentlewoman for Lady Olivia. She mainly plays the part of a catalyst and shows an interest in playing jokes particularly on Malvolio. Another waiting gentlewoman is Charmian in the play Antony and Cleopatra. She can best be described as a loyal servant and friend to Cleopatra. Both of these women play significant roles in their respective plays although they do not serve for the same purpose.
Maria role in Twelfth night is to stir up trouble. Although she is a servant to Olivia she is not genuinely thinking of Olivia when she tries to enforce the rules. This is shown when Maria says "My lady will hang thee for thy absence." (Act I Sc. 5 Line 3). She is exaggerating but it is interesting how instead of saying, "You are supposed to be here!" she says, "My lady will kill you when she sees you". It more seems like Maria is trying to tell Feste how much trouble he is in then to scold him. This is in contrast to how I believe
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Twelfth Night (view all)
- What makes Twelfth Night a Comedy?
- Discuss the similarities and differences between Olivia and ...
- Discuss the use of disguise and deception in Twelfth Night a...
- Twelfth Night - 'How comedy is created through disguise &...
- How does Shakespeare explore the theme of love in Twelfth Ni...
- Twelfth Night, Scene one act one
- How is Malvolio presented in "Twelfth Night"?
- Explain how Shakespeare shows Malvolio in the play in Act 2....
- Malvolio has some undesirable traits, which lead to him bein...
- A joyful fantasy full of impossibilities. To what extent is ...
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.