- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Comparing language: Blessing and Night of the Scorpion
The first 200 words of this essay...
Language used to show different people in different cultures
'Night of the Scorpion is set in a Mud hut, located in a village against a rainy night. The speaker is the poet which explores the Hindu tradition of reincarnation. The speaker appears to have a disbelieving attitude towards the culture explored and doesn't believe in reincarnation. One recurring theme in Night of the Scorpion is the strength of the memories of the event as the speaker is able to recall the night the scorpion bit his mother perfectly which emphasizes his love for his mother.
'Blessing' is set in Dharavi, Mumbai against a background of a dry drought against a background of dehydration. The speaker is an omniscient narrator and tells of a municipal water pipe bursting to the release of fresh drinking water. The speaker has a celebratory attitude towards the events and cultures explored. One recurring theme in Blessing is the struggling nature of the villagers who have little water all year round before being finally blessed.
Throughout blessing, various techniques are used to give a sense of a celebratory attitude. For example the title itself - 'blessing'.
The title itself is an extended
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Imtiaz Dharker: Blessing (view all)
- An analysis of 'Blessing'.
- Compare and contrast the 'Blessing' by Imtiaz Dharker with '...
- What Could Shakespeare Be Saying About Honour and The Diff...
- Show how the pots create a strong sense of place in Island m...
- Blessing Imtiaz Dharker's poem can be read in two ways. A ...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Zoey. University Student.